Dry skin is unattractive, flaky, rough and often itchy. Severely dry skin may become uncomfortable, scaly, crack or even bleed. Dry skin most commonly affects mature skin types, but affects men, women and children of all ages. Even if you have oily or acne-prone skin!
CAUSES OF DRY SKIN
- Cold weather, Dry climates
- Sun exposure
- Harsh detergents
- Skin irritants in soaps, hair and skin care products, especially acne treatment products
- Frequent bathing, long hot showers
Eczema, psoriasis and other skin conditions also have symptoms of dry skin. If you have stubborn dry skin with intense itching or sleep disturbances, it is unlikely just dry skin. We can provide you relief!
SELF CARE STEPS FOR DRY SKIN
Identify and avoid your skin irritations. The following self care steps may help prevent flares and minimize the drying environmental factors:
- Use a humidifier
- Take shorter showers or baths. Use warm water and bath oil may be helpful.
- Use gentle, fragrance-free soaps and detergents
- Moisturize your skin at least twice a day.
Would you like to learn more about Dry Skin? Call (254) 399-6941 to schedule a consultation at GunterMD Dermatology & Skin Cancer Center.